Thursday, October 19, 2006

Waschsalon / Laundromat

"I haven't yet seen a Laundromat in Germany. Or a dryer."

"I think there aren't any. I've never been in a Laundromat in my life."

"Really?"

"M-hm."

"What do you call Laundromats in German?"

"Waschsalon. I have this idea that it's this kind of romantic place, where you go late at night to wash your clothes and meet somebody."

"That's ridiculous. It's just what you see in the movies."

"But what was the Waschsalon in your neighborhood in New York like?"

"It really wasn't that nice... it was open 24 hours a day, and had hundreds of washing machines. It was really very sterile. [pause] But at college, we had a nice Waschsalon. I always went there on Sundays, put my dirty clothes in, and sat and did my reading for school..."

"See? [accusatory finger] 'Oh, it was so nice to go there and do my reading.' You feel the exact same way."

"Fair enough. But I never met anybody while I was there."

Translated liberally from the German by, er, me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stunde Null said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 20, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Stunde Null said...

the waschsalon is where i first saw a turkish man peeing, no hands.

October 20, 2006 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home