Thursday, June 07, 2007

Auf deutsch zu singen

As a general rule, I prefer it when German bands sing in German and not English. It's unfair for me to judge them based on my own preferences and sense of what the "dignified" language choice would be -- when they sing in German they've basically kissed their chances at international success goodbye. With the exception of lap-pop or electronic acts, where (ironically) the English doesn't bother me at all.

The thing is, I used to think that songs in German sounded funny. Don't get me wrong, I think the German language is beautiful. Maybe it was just radio songs about "du bist meine sonne" and "Ich vermisse dich so" that made me laugh (although if they had been in English they would have made me roll my eyes). But I also knew that lyrics in German could be more than "eins zwei drei vier." So, with that, let me offer a few clips for your consideration.


Fotos - Komm Zurück. It's possible that I would find this song utterly annoying were it in English. But I like that they can make the phrase "Ich denk an dich immer wieder" really swagger.

When I saw them play last night they said their favorite band was particular group of men who wear angular costumes, modulate their voices, and hawk techno beats, And are definitely not Kraftwerk.

Deichkind - RemmiDemmi

Fotos cover this song to great effect.

Fotos - RemmiDemmi, Live in Lingen. Bear with the shaky camera for the sound quality.