Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Deutsche Buecherei

Deutsche Bucherei 1
I visited the Deutsche Bücherei one lovely October afternoon when I didn't have work. The library is sort of like the Library of Congress, only their goal is to have a copy of every book written in German, ever.

You have to pay a fee to be a member, but the guard was amenable to me just taking a look around, although he warned me sternly that I should not sit down.

Deutsche Bucherei 3
This poster is advertising "The most beautiful German book 2006" contest, and subsequent exhibition on the second floor. Yes, the books were very pretty. Leipzig is historically a publishing and printing town, so they do crazy things like this. I don't suppose it's a coincidence that one of the three books tied for first place was an illustrated book of poetry about Leipzig.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear larissa,
the prettiest books! i am having currently imagining what they might look like. do you have any pictures? if not, maybe you will draw them for me and send them on a postcard. i can respond in kind with what i have been imagining.

hint: in my mind, some are edible. i mean, i guess, all books are edible, but these would be tempting to eat.

love,
bridget

November 09, 2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gahhhhhh. my brain is all frothed up at the thought of books.

November 09, 2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Liebstes Mädel said...

Oh! You can actually see the books a little bit here: http://stiftung-buchkunst.de/home.html
Click on "Die deutsche Wettbewerb" at the bottom left.

Of course this is not as good as seeing them in person OR me drawing postcard pictures. But I am lazy.

November 09, 2006 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home